Monday, March 22, 2010

License to Kiss - Teatro Zinzanni, Seattle, WA

This year marks big birthdays. My mom turned 60, my aunt turned 59 and I am turning the big 40. I wanted our birthdays to be a big bunch of fun and do something for them that I don't think they would have done for themselves. Teatro Zinzanni.

This is a combination dinner theater meets Cirque de Soleil meets a Belgian circus tent from 1910 meets Chef Tom Douglas' menu. When we first walked into the venue, there is a little gift shop that I bought a new hair poof in. I offered to get them hair poofs too, but they declined. A hair poof is a littl tuft of feathers like you would find in a feather boa and it's attached to a roach clip to easily be put in the hair for some flair. I like flair!

Once we were seated, we were greeted by an antipasto dish with humus, tapenade, roasted red bell pepper and some bread to place all the yummy goodness upon. We were seated on the main floor between the center performing area and the stage. Right in the middle of all the action with fabulous views.

The cast mingles with the patrons prior to the show starting or you could consider that part of the show I suppose. We enjoyed our first course and I had a ball watching my aunt try to decipher what was going to happen next.

The show started with the host of the evening - Tobias Larsson - introducing the evening's diva - Sabine Hettlich. She sang her opening number which was fabulous. Tobias then introduced us to Mr. C - The Pastry Chef. The chocolate was now missing and Mr. C was on a mission with his team to find the chocolate.

Mitzy and Dik were the comedy act. Mitzy had this infectious voice and giggle. We cracked up everytime she spoke. Total cutie. Mr. C re-entered only this time, he was in a new costume. Drag costume #1. He found a 'willing' volunteer to come up on stage and assist him with his act -Then the second course made it's way out. Carrot and parsnip soup. It was just amazing. I wish I had the patience and kitchen tools to make a soup like that.

Back to the show for more of Mitzi and Dik, followed by rope aeralist Kari Podgorski of Seattle. Just stunning. I say with a wink and a grin. Another song from Sabine rounded out this portion of the show.

In coming - the entrees. There were 3 entrees to choose from and we had one of each. They were very accomodating to my mom who doesn't like her meat medium rare which is the standard cook. They brought hers out medium well done and she cleaned her plate of every bite tenderloin. My aunt being a vegetarian went with the mushroom strata. She's researching a recipe so she can recreate it. Myself, I had the halibut. It was amazing. Cooked perfectly. I wasn't sure what to think of the spatzl. I hadn't had the German pasta before. It was really dense.

More entertainment!! Yet another drag outfit. This one was THE most outrageous. I was crying before he said a word! He said thank you to all of his 'helpers' from earlier in the evening. The final acrobatic act was a duo that do a tango on a vertical pole that is about 25 feet long/high. The strength of this couple is amazing. Very easy to tell that they are truly in love as well - they are married in real life. The dessert was finally served. It was a cherry chocolate cake. Very rich, but very good.

I bought the picture of us together. They did a nice job, but Mike did a little editing when I arrived home. I love having a photographer/photo technician as a husband!  :)

I will continue to go to Teatro as long as it's around. I truly adore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment